From 05/28/2017 to 06/26/2017
- 02:42 PM Support #803 (Closed): Tracking parental death
- Hi there,
I'm looking to create a variable of parental death. However, I am having trouble of finding cases where...
- 12:40 PM Support #802 (Closed): Construction of hourly wage with paygu_dv
I would like to construct hourly wages with w_paygu_dv and w_jbhrs/w_jshrs for the employed and self-employe...
- 07:03 PM Support #801 (Closed): coding of w_hrpid in w_indall
I would like to use pidp for the household reference person in data file c_indall, but it seems that the va...
- 11:43 AM Support #800: Net Income
- Rafael Vassiliou wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam,
At the moment I work on my dissertation based on the impact of minimu...
- 11:42 AM Support #800 (Closed): Net Income
- Dear Sir/Madam,
I am a postgraduate student at the University of Bristol. At the moment I work on my dissertation ...
- 03:33 PM Support #795 (Feedback): Savings Variables in Wave A of Understanding Society
- Dear Damian,
Understanding Society contains some useful information on savings behaviour, although the detail is n...
- 03:39 PM Support #799 (Closed): Parent sample for research project
I was wondering if you might be able to help me. I am trying to get a better understanding of the responde...
- 01:54 PM Support #792: Merging datasets
- Hi Alita,
Thank you for getting back to me.
My apologies but I realised that I did not need to merge these in...
- 01:27 PM Support #792 (In Progress): Merging datasets
- Hello Emily,
Each row in INDSAMP is uniquely identified by PIDP and D_FINLOC
Each row in INDALL is uniquely ident...
- 03:30 PM Support #798 (Closed): Variable a_frmnthimp.dv in the protected file a_income_protect.dta
- In the data file a_income_protect.dta, what is the format of the data for the variable a_frmnthimp.dv? I am asking th...
- 04:39 PM Support #797 (In Progress): Youth Database - All waves
- Hi Lena,
there are no particular skip patterns other than the ones indicated in the youth questionnaire (which you h...
- 10:47 AM Support #797 (Closed): Youth Database - All waves
- I am currently working with understanding society youth database. I have a question about question 29: Q29: Would yo...
- 04:11 PM Support #794: BHPS: variable 'feend' from xwavedat
- Hi Julia,
sorry. I seem to have overlooked your follow-up question here when replying to your follow-up question #79...
- 03:08 PM Support #758 (Closed): weights for pooled cross-sections over waves (a)-(f)
- 03:06 PM Support #790 (Closed): Is information on day of birth available as a variable (in BHPS)?
- 03:05 PM Support #791 (Closed): Lone Parents
- 03:05 PM Support #779 (Closed): BHPS file KLIFEMST
- 03:04 PM Support #789 (Closed): Identifying UK citizens
- 03:32 PM Support #796: #794 continued
- Hi Julia,
no problem, we are here to help. To understand better why some of the people with "degrees" have no inform...
- 02:07 PM Support #796: #794 continued
- Those people have to be those that never entered further education but why do some of them have a degree or other hig...
- 02:04 PM Support #796: #794 continued
- Thanks again! I'm sorry for so many questions but I really find some data confusing. Could you please clarify who can...
- 11:27 AM Support #796: #794 continued
- The questions that were asked are listed in the wave-specific questionnaires. SCEND is school leaving age; FEEND is f...
- 11:17 AM Support #796: #794 continued
- Thanks! And what'a the difference in the definition of further and full-time education in your dataset? I mean can I ...
- 11:11 AM Support #796 (In Progress): #794 continued
- FEEND on XWAVEDAT reports the age at which the respondent ended further education. There is also a variable SCEND whi...
- 10:56 AM Support #796 (Closed): #794 continued
- Thanks! So as far as I understood 'feend' gives an age when a respondent is supposed to leave further education while...
- 11:26 AM Support #794: BHPS: variable 'feend' from xwavedat
- Also you meantioned that 'inapplicable' means that question wasn't asked by design. Could you please clarify why so m...
- 11:14 AM Support #794: BHPS: variable 'feend' from xwavedat
- copying over content from #796
Follow-up question (J Borodina)
Thanks! So as far as I understood 'feend' gives an...
- 09:15 PM Support #758: weights for pooled cross-sections over waves (a)-(f)
- Thanks a lot Peter!
I appreciate your help and expertise very much.
Have a great week.
- 05:39 PM Support #794 (In Progress): BHPS: variable 'feend' from xwavedat
- Hi Julia,
generally, the meaning of missing values is consistent across all variables. -9 means the information has ...
- 11:04 AM Support #794 (Closed): BHPS: variable 'feend' from xwavedat
- Dear Support team,
Could you please clarify the difference between 'inapplicable' and 'missing' in 'further educatio...
- 05:23 PM Support #793 (In Progress): Merging Household response data and Individual response data
- Hi Daniel,
I am not sure which tutorial on UoE you are following but if you look at the Understanding Society online...
- 04:54 PM Support #795 (Closed): Savings Variables in Wave A of Understanding Society
We are looking to assess the extent to which consumers are saving. As part of the research, we are look...
- 04:49 PM Support #793 (Closed): Merging Household response data and Individual response data
- I have recently been preparing data for analysis in SPSS and I've successfully merged 6 waves of INDRESP data, after ...
- 07:26 PM Support #790: Is information on day of birth available as a variable (in BHPS)?
- Victoria Nolan wrote:
> Dear Sebastian,
> We do not currently provide a BHPS equivalent file. We will note the...
- 04:16 PM Support #790 (Feedback): Is information on day of birth available as a variable (in BHPS)?
- Dear Sebastian,
We do not currently provide a BHPS equivalent file. We will note the request and consider whether...
- 04:21 PM Support #762 (Closed): inconsistency between xwavedat and indresp on parental occupation?
- Dear Carolina,
Further to your separate correspondence with us, we are now closing this issue, as it has been reso...
- 04:16 PM Support #758: weights for pooled cross-sections over waves (a)-(f)
- Looks fine!
- 04:14 PM Support #791: Lone Parents
- Sorry - I meant the longitudinal weight e_psnenub_lw~=0
- 04:12 PM Support #791 (Feedback): Lone Parents
- Hi Helen,
I am assuming you are working with the e_indall file and that you are looking for dependent children who l...
- 04:00 PM Support #779: BHPS file KLIFEMST
- Dear Julia,
Apologies for the delay in responding to your follow-up question.
Yes , their work experience would...
- 03:52 PM Support #775: Nurse interviewer ID number 9999
- Dear Fiona,
We will have to take this query back to the fieldwork agency that originally conducted the interviews....
- 03:50 PM Support #788 (Closed): Why so many "inapplicables" when tabulating on two specific variables
- 03:49 PM Support #786 (Closed): gender of non-coresident adult children
- 03:48 PM Support #787 (Closed): Household head in understanding society survey
- 03:48 PM Support #776 (Closed): Access to Understanding Society and National Pupil Database
- 03:47 PM Support #781: Data on couple finances
- Dear Charlotte,
Just checking whether there is anything more we can help you with on this? We are happy to discuss...
- 03:45 PM Support #784 (Closed): self-completion questionnaires
- 03:45 PM Support #782 (Closed): research publications - cross-sectional or longitudinal analysis
- 03:43 PM Support #777 (Closed): Clarifications
- 03:42 PM Support #785 (Closed): Weighting for a complex sub-merged dataset
- 03:40 PM Support #768 (Closed): Data linkage - NPD & Wave 4 - ETA?
- 03:22 PM Support #792: Merging datasets
- Stata code:
use d_indresp, clear
save "H:\My Documents\SSRM\Dissertation\Data\Work...
- 03:21 PM Support #792 (Closed): Merging datasets
- Hi there,
My name is Emily - I am a MSc student, currently working on a dissertation looking at how socioeconomic...
- 04:38 PM Support #791 (Closed): Lone Parents
- Hi there,
I've been working in Wave 5 of Understanding society, and trying to understand how many HHs have one ad...
- 03:58 PM Support #790 (Closed): Is information on day of birth available as a variable (in BHPS)?
- Hi Understanding Society,
I have asked before whether date of birth was available as a variable in Understanding ...
- 02:57 PM Support #775: Nurse interviewer ID number 9999
- Dear Victoria.
Thank you for your reply. I am interested in the criteria for assigning the nurse ID 9999 and in pa...
- 01:08 PM Support #758: weights for pooled cross-sections over waves (a)-(f)
- Hi Peter,
thanks a lot for your reply. I pooled the data for all six waves and added for each record a wave variabl...
- 10:22 AM Support #789 (In Progress): Identifying UK citizens
- Dear Marceline,
You are correct respondents born in the UK are not asked the citizenship questions. But as anyone ...
Also available in: Atom