Access to Understanding Society and National Pupil Database
I am a Masters student at Cardiff University currently using the Understanding Society (USoc) data for my dissertation.
I was looking at using some FSM variables, however they only seem to exist when USoc has been linked with the National Pupil Database (NPD). I have a few questions if that is ok -
1. Is it only Wave 1 that is available for the linkage of USoc and NPD?
2. Is the data archive the only way to access this data?
3. What is secure access? Is this available to students?
4. When will future waves of USoc and NPD linkage be available?
Many thanks in advance,
Updated by Victoria Nolan over 3 years ago
- Status changed from New to Feedback
- Assignee changed from Victoria Nolan to Emily Lowthian
- % Done changed from 0 to 90
- Private changed from Yes to No
Many thanks for your enquiry.
FSM is linked from the NPD data and not available on Understanding Society directly.
1. The linked data we hold is based on wave 1 consents from participants but covers many years and children at different ages.
2. Yes, the UK Data Archive/ UK Data Service is the only way to access these data: https://discover.ukdataservice.ac.uk/catalogue/?sn=7642&type=Data%20catalogue
3. Information about access to the UKDS Secure Lab can be found here: https://www.ukdataservice.ac.uk/get-data/how-to-access/accesssecurelab. You'll see that it says "PhD and research students can request access but will need to apply jointly with their supervisors."
4. We are currently planning to link wave 4 consents with the NPD data - I'm afraid we don't have a precise timeframe for this but we hope that it will be this year.
We hope this helps, best wishes, Victoria.
On behalf of the Understanding Society Data User Support Team