From 03/13/2017 to 04/11/2017
- 07:30 PM Support #494 (Feedback): Pooled Cross-Sectional Analysis
- 04:33 PM Support #494: Pooled Cross-Sectional Analysis
For this kind of data I see no conceptual logic in pooling the waves for cross-sectional analysis. You c...
- 06:07 PM Support #764 (Closed): Reward variables
- Hi, my name is Roxana and I am a Management PhD researcher currently working on a project in the area of employee wor...
- 06:39 PM Support #494: Pooled Cross-Sectional Analysis
From what I understand, I cannot use this syntax to pool waves 2 and 4 (which are the ones that have gender ...
- 04:18 PM Support #755 (Closed): non-coresident adult children
- 04:17 PM Support #761 (Feedback): Why monthly gross income is negative?
- Dear Ujjwal Kumar Das,
Negative numbers are a result of a self-employment loss. More information is in the user gu...
- 01:14 PM Support #763 (Closed): question about b_mever and b_mvyr
From my understanding, b_mvever and b_mvyr refer to new entrants only; however, some people who have data on ...
- 05:13 PM Support #762 (Closed): inconsistency between xwavedat and indresp on parental occupation?
I am a bit puzzled with the parental information contained in the indresp file and in the xwavedat file.
- 12:21 PM Support #761: Why monthly gross income is negative?
- > I can see for many, individual monthly gross income is negative which is unusual.
> Variable | Obs ...
- 12:20 PM Support #761 (Closed): Why monthly gross income is negative?
- I can see for many, individual monthly gross income is negative which is unusual.
a_fimngrs_dv | 50,994 14...
- 02:26 PM Support #756 (Feedback): Questions regarding the cognitive ability measures in understand society
- Dear Johannes,
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.
The following paper summarises the provenance of...
- 03:15 PM Support #760 (In Progress): Number of sibling pairs with genetic data
- Dear Gibran,
Many thanks for your enquiry. It has been passed on to our genetics and biomarkers team, who will be ...
- 03:13 PM Support #687 (Closed): Unusual age distribution after conditioning on wJBSTATT in wave `R`
- Dear Till,
I'm very sorry for the delay in getting back to you - unfortunately we have been unable to identify a s...
- 03:12 PM Support #750 (Closed): Industry codes
- 03:11 PM Support #754 (Closed): Three Class NS-SEC - jbnssec3_dv
- 03:11 PM Support #742 (Closed): Income
- 03:11 PM Support #753 (Closed): Temporary Accommodation
- 03:10 PM Support #749 (Closed): w_scparoutint
- 03:10 PM Support #751 (Closed): Confusing data on rjbstat
- 03:09 PM Support #748 (Closed): GHQ-12 results
- 03:09 PM Support #735 (Closed): Weighting reducing sample numbers
- 01:39 PM Support #733: Identifying residential movers
- Thanks Victoria. I think that clears things up for now.
- 09:38 AM Support #733: Identifying residential movers
- Hi Rory,
It was not always the case that the ONSPD for the closest point to each survey sweep was used to assign s...
- 08:59 AM Support #733: Identifying residential movers
- Dear Victoria
Thanks for your very detailed response to my questions.
From what you say, I agree that the only...
- 07:18 PM Support #757 (Feedback): Young mothers data
- Hi Marsha,
Understanding Society data are made available through the UK Data Service and can be downloaded from thei...
- 06:48 PM Support #759 (Feedback): SF-12
- Hi Maria,
in Wave 1 the SF12 was carried in the face-to-face (f2f) questionnaire but it was decided that it should b...
- 04:15 PM Support #760 (Closed): Number of sibling pairs with genetic data
- Hi I'm trying to find out how many pairs of siblings exist where both individuals have genotype data. Is this (or an ...
- 04:22 PM Support #759 (Closed): SF-12
I wonder why SF-12 variables are available twice in Waves 2 to 5: as usual variables and as self-completion. ...
- 09:59 AM Support #758 (In Progress): weights for pooled cross-sections over waves (a)-(f)
- Dear Nico,
Many thanks for your enquiry, I am passing it on to our weighting team to look into.
Best wishes, Vi...
- 06:32 PM Support #758 (Closed): weights for pooled cross-sections over waves (a)-(f)
- Hi there,
I am running hourly wage (constructed with w_paygu_dv) on a number of regressors in a pooled cross-sect...
- 03:27 PM Support #733: Identifying residential movers
- Dear Rory,
Just a brief update:
We can now confirm that the BHPS individual level variable wMOVEST was compute...
- 08:18 AM Support #733: Identifying residential movers
- Dear Rory,
Sorry for the delay while we have been looking into this.
We have tried to respond as far as possibl...
- 11:58 AM Support #757 (Closed): Young mothers data
I am interested in using Understanding Society data to explore data around teenage and young mothers. More s...
- 08:27 AM Support #756 (Closed): Questions regarding the cognitive ability measures in understand society
- Hi, my name is Johannes Bennetzen and I am looking through the cognitive ability measures in understand society. As f...
- 07:31 PM Support #755 (In Progress): non-coresident adult children
- Dear Jingyi
there are different ways to identify the gender of respondent's non co-resident children, and which way ...
- 01:46 PM Support #739 (Closed): Proxy variables
- 01:45 PM Support #694 (Closed): "Ever divorced" and "Ever widowed" in Understanding Society
- 01:45 PM Support #705 (Closed): Emigration Status
- 01:44 PM Support #746 (Closed): Household relatives
- 01:44 PM Support #715 (Closed): Wave 1 to 6 Data Release - Differences compared to Wave 1 to 5 data release
- 01:43 PM Support #743 (Closed): Education Information
- 01:43 PM Support #744 (Closed): geographical data linkage
- 01:42 PM Support #741 (Closed): data on cognitive abilities and physical exercise
- 07:07 PM Support #755 (Closed): non-coresident adult children
- Dear Support team,
I have a question about Understanding Society, I would be appreciated if you can give me some a...
- 09:03 AM Support #750 (Feedback): Industry codes
- Dear Aina,
to our knowledge there is no exact mapping of SIC 1980 to SIC 1992. In some waves of the BHPS responses w...
- 01:02 PM Support #754: Three Class NS-SEC - jbnssec3_dv
- Thank you very much.
- 12:01 PM Support #754 (Feedback): Three Class NS-SEC - jbnssec3_dv
- Dear Sait,
you are right. the label was misleading. The variable is derived from JBNSSEC_DV, which in turn is derive...
- 10:45 AM Support #754 (Closed): Three Class NS-SEC - jbnssec3_dv
I try to make use of jbnnsec3_dv variable. According to the value labels, three categories are (1) management ...
- 11:37 AM Support #742 (Feedback): Income
- Dear Gloria,
The Understanding Society measure of labour income is a current measure. It asks for the “usual” amou...
- 04:07 PM Support #753 (Feedback): Temporary Accommodation
- Dear Helen,
Many thanks for your enquiry.
1 – we would include respondents in these types of accommodation, tha...
- 02:18 PM Support #753 (Closed): Temporary Accommodation
- Hi there! I'm trying to understand whether the survey tracks temporary accomodation, and if so where I could find thi...
- 03:36 PM Support #752: Weights
- Thank you Peter.
It would be really useful to have the weights earlier please, since I am putting together some fi...
- 03:24 PM Support #752: Weights
Yes, we can supply the weight. However, it will be included in an update to the data that will be released...
- 12:47 PM Support #752 (Closed): Weights
I notice from a previous posting on the User Support site (#736), that the weight f_indscub_xw for the adul...
- 03:15 PM Support #735: Weighting reducing sample numbers
Sorry for slow reply. The provision of weights requires the ability to estimate probabilities of continuin...
- 01:57 PM Support #748 (Feedback): GHQ-12 results
- Dear Gillian,
it appears you are comparing results published using GHQ-12 caseness scores with results using GQH-12 ...
- 09:17 AM Support #751 (In Progress): Confusing data on rjbstat
- Hi Julia,
we cannot reproduce your analysis data set from the description you have sent. We can only recommend that ...
- 08:33 PM Support #751 (Closed): Confusing data on rjbstat
- Dear Support Team,
I'm having a problem interpreting the Stata output attached.
I am working with a merged file (Wa...
- 10:02 AM Support #750 (Closed): Industry codes
- Are there cross-walk that map the 1980 and 1992 industry classifications used in the BHPS?
I need to create a vari...
- 08:28 AM Support #749 (In Progress): w_scparoutint
- Dear Ian,
thank you for making us aware of this dicrepancy. We have not concluded our investigation but there appear...
- 08:03 AM Support #739 (Resolved): Proxy variables
- Yes, you arrived at the correct conclusion! Information from the proxy informant about the proxy respondent is alread...
- 05:14 PM Support #739: Proxy variables
- Hi Gundi,
Yes, I think you have clarified this issue for me. At first I thought that those cells labeled 'proxy' cou...
- 11:34 AM Support #739: Proxy variables
- Hi Julia,
we have not heard back from you. Did you manage to link information for the person providing the proxy int...
- 04:10 PM Support #749 (Closed): w_scparoutint
- The question "Do you and your partner engage in outside interests together?" has 6 valid answers ('never' to 'all the...
- 03:15 PM Support #748 (Closed): GHQ-12 results
- I am trying to make some comparisons across data for the GHQ-12 (including publications using the previous BHPS) and ...
- 12:27 PM Support #694: "Ever divorced" and "Ever widowed" in Understanding Society
- We are very sorry for the delay in responding to this.
We are aiming to provide these in the separate partnership...
- 11:59 AM Support #705: Emigration Status
- Dear Yujung,
We apologise for the delay in responding.
The file you should look at is W_INDSAMP. This file incl...
- 11:58 AM Support #746: Household relatives
- Dear Gundi,
thank you very much for your prompt reply. I will have a look on what you suggested and hopefully will...
- 11:46 AM Support #746 (In Progress): Household relatives
- Hi Dora,
there is no specific variable reporting this at the household level. But there is an entire dataset that st...
- 11:36 AM Support #746 (Closed): Household relatives
- Dear all,
I would like to ask if there is any variable that tell us in which households there are relatives and wh...
- 11:12 AM Support #742 (In Progress): Income
- Dear Gloria,
Many thanks for your enquiry. I have paassed this on to our income team who are looking into it for y...
- 11:11 AM Support #724 (Closed): Education in BHPS and UKHLS (harmonization and classification)
- 11:11 AM Support #729 (Closed): modetype variable
- 11:10 AM Support #734 (Closed): Participant move between waves 2 and 3
- 11:09 AM Support #737 (Closed): Cross tabulations in Understanding Society
- 11:08 AM Support #728 (Closed): natch01-natch16 variables in wave 6
- 11:07 AM Support #715: Wave 1 to 6 Data Release - Differences compared to Wave 1 to 5 data release
- Dear Ben,
Could I please just check whether you still need our help with this issue? If you could provide some mor...
- 10:16 AM Support #733: Identifying residential movers
- Dear Victoria,
Thank you for your reply. I hadn't noticed the ff_allmoved indicator, so this is very helpful.
- 09:32 AM Support #743: Education Information
- Hi Yigit,
the linkage process in this area has not advanced as much as other data linkage projects (such as linkage ...
- 03:56 PM Support #745: Interviewer number query
I've had a look at the h_intnum variable on the h_indresp_ip data and this is "inapplicable" for 2267 out ...
- 09:27 AM Support #745 (Closed): Interviewer number query
I received this (below) - I can look into it, but wanted to post it here in case it's come up before (I did a...
- 02:44 PM Support #743: Education Information
- Thanks a lot for your prompt response. Yes, I'll wait for it. Do you think it would take more than a year?
- 02:08 PM Support #743 (Feedback): Education Information
- Hi Yigit,
we collect some information about the highest educational qualification (the information is stored in the ...
- 11:21 AM Support #744: geographical data linkage
- Emily Midouhas wrote:
> I am developing a grant proposal that would use US, and I am wondering what the process is f...
- 11:10 AM Support #744 (Closed): geographical data linkage
- I am developing a grant proposal that would use US, and I am wondering what the process is for having geographical da...
Also available in: Atom