Unemployment history for BHPS sample members of UndStand Soc. Survey (between 2nd wave of UndStand and last wave of BHPS)
I was wondering if you might be able to help me with a query I have regarding the BHPS sample (now present in the "interim release" version of the 'wave 1 and wave 2 Understanding Society' data). Essentially, my query is this:
- I would like to know whether it is possible to find out the unemployment history for individuals who were in the final wave of the BHPS survey and also wave 2 of the understanding society survey
- So what I'd like to know: in wave 2 of the UndStand Soc survey, is there information on whether an individual experienced ANY unemployment between the 'last wave of the BHPS: 2008/09" and the "2nd wave of the Understanding Society Survey" (in which the BHPS sample now appears)
- Using the BHPS, data was collected on the work histories of all members. So, you could see whether an individual was either a) unemployed at the time of a survey year (i.e. current employment status at the time of the survey); or b) whether they'd experienced any unemployment between two survey years (i.e. unemployment experience INBETWEEN two surveys)
- Does the "wave 2" of the US survey contain data on the employment histories of the BHPS members between 1) the time of the US wave 2 survey AND 2) the final wave of the BHPS survey
- So, can I see if: between "wave 2 of the US survey" and the "final wave of the BHPS survey (2008/09)", an individual had any experience of unemployemt?
- Is there a variable (or series of variables) for this?
Does this make sense? If not, please do not hesitate to ask.
Thanks so much for your time.
Updated by Redmine Admin almost 12 years ago
- Category set to Data analysis
- Status changed from New to In Progress
- Assignee set to Redmine Admin
Thanks for your request.
The annual event history module of the questionnaire contains questions about whether the person has changed job status since last interview and if so, what the non-employment status for each spell of non-employment was, e.g. full-time student, family care, unemployed/seeking work, etc.
The BHPS cohort members will have been asked the same questions at wave 2 as the UKHLS participants (the variable ff_hhorig shows the sample origin) concerning the period from their last interview at BHPS wave 18 to wave 2 interview of UKHLS.
Updated by James Laurence almost 12 years ago
Thanks so much for getting back to me. That's great that they will have answered these 'employment' history questions back to wave 18 of the BHPS. However, I've been looking through the datasets that are included in the most recent release of the the UndStand Soc data (wave 1 and wave 2) and can't seem to find the 'event history' questions for employment that will allow me to find out what I need in any of the data sets inlcuded: b_childcare, b_egoalt, b_hhresp, b_income, b_indall, b_indresp, b_indsamp_uniq, b_newborn, or b_youth. I might simply be looking right through it but could you possibly point me to where I might find the employment history variables in the current release of the UndStand Soc data? Thanks again