missing values after merging household and individual dataset
Dear member of Understanding Society,
I am dealing with Inovation Panel data(wave10) and trying to merge the variables from the dataset of j_hhresp_ip with those from the dataset of j_indresp_ip.
Using the common variable j_indresp_ip, I can merge these two dataset successfully. But there exist 55 missing values, in which 49 from master dataset (i.e., j_hhresp_ip) and 6 from j_indresp_ip.
I just wonder is it normal? What cause the missing values?
The variables I tried to merge include:
"j_hidp j_hhsize j_xphsdb j_xphsdct j_xphsdba j_hhpc1 j_hhpc2 j_hhpc3 j_hhpc4 j_hhpc5 j_hhpc96 j_pcnet j_nemp_dv j_hhtype_dv j_fihhmngrs_dv j_fihhmngrs_if" from j_hhresp_ip.dta.
"pidp j_hidp j_pno j_jbstat j_twithave j_scbrowsesp j_scemailsp j_scphotosp j_scsmlooksp j_scsmpostsp j_scbuysp j_scbanksp j_scinstalsp j_scgpssp j_scblutthsp j_scgamessp j_scstreamsp j_scothersp j_scbrowsetb j_scemailtb j_scphototb j_scsmlooktb j_scsmposttb j_scbuytb j_scbanktb j_scinstaltb j_scgpstb j_scblutthtb j_scgamestb j_scstreamtb j_scothertb j_scskillsp j_scskilltb j_sex j_dvage j_marstat j_employ j_agegr10_dv j_qfhigh_dv j_jbseg_dv j_hhorig j_psu j_strata j_indpxip_xw j_indinip_xw j_indscip_xw j_fimngrs_dv" from j_hhresp_ip.
Many thanks for your help
Updated by Annette Pasotti about 1 year ago
- Status changed from New to In Progress
- % Done changed from 0 to 10
Many thanks for your enquiry. The Understanding Society team is looking into it and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
We aim to respond to simple queries within 48 hours and more complex issues within 7 working days.
Updated by Understanding Society User Support Team 12 months ago
- Category set to Data inconsistency
- Status changed from In Progress to Feedback
- % Done changed from 10 to 80
Such missing values are rare but can happen in two situations:
1) the household questionnaire is completed in a given household but no individual questionnaires are completed (because e.g. the respondent drops out from the web questionnaire),
2) the household questionnaire is not completed, only the individual questionnaire.
UKHLS User Support Team