Self-employed who have applied for UC in Covid modules
I've been doing a quick analysis for the question listed above, I was hoping someone could sense-check my approach and my use of weights. I am using R. Please do let me if this forum is not the appropriate place for this discussion.
1. Create subset of self-employed in w9 (jbstat==1)
2. Create subsets of those who have tried to apply for UC in Covid waves (ucredit / ucreditb65>1, ucredit2 / ucredit2b65 !=-8)
3. w9 leftjoin with above subsets of ca_indres, cb_indres, cd_indres
4. Create new yes/no variable for "applied for UC in any wave"
5. weight using i_psu, i_strata, and using i_indinui_xw
6. My result is 6.4% of SE in the UK have applied for UC since the pandemic started
Is my use of the w9 cross sectional weight is sub-optimal? Would the best thing to do be to create a new weighting variable? Or a different approach which appended jbstat to each covid wave and work from there?