From 11/07/2015 to 12/06/2015
- 05:29 PM Support #456: comparing across waves
- Dear Carolina,
To select the weights you will need to first decide on what you want to represent: either people ov...
- 03:10 PM Support #459 (Resolved): derived variable for total number of children
- 02:57 PM Support #459: derived variable for total number of children
- Thank you. This answers my questions.
- 02:54 PM Support #459: derived variable for total number of children
- Hi Alexey,
apologies, it turns out the _lnprnt is asked of men and women who appear not to have any natural children...
- 12:39 PM Support #459: derived variable for total number of children
- Hi Gundi,
Many thanks for your detailed and timely reply. Just a couple of things to clarify. You said that lnprnt...
- 09:43 AM Support #459 (In Progress): derived variable for total number of children
- Hi Alexey,
first, to confirm that there is no derived variable which provides this information. Hence, you are rig...
- 03:03 PM Support #461 (Closed): Was Maternal BMI or Maternal Weigth and Height Data been recorded?
I am a research assistant and I am currently searching for maternal datasets containing maternal BMI or ...
- 05:20 PM Support #460 (Closed): Language variables
- I am interested in exploring the information related to respondents' language in Understanding Society.
It is clea...
- 09:08 AM Support #443 (Closed): Orgm variables
- 09:07 AM Support #451 (Closed): Immigrant and Ethnic Minority Boost sample Wave 6
- 09:06 AM Support #454 (In Progress): BHPS hhch12 variable in INDRESP files
- Thanks for raising it - now forwarded to the BHPS team. On behalf of the team, Jakob
- 09:04 AM Support #455 (In Progress): Residential mobility indicators
- xwhist is under development and did not make it into the latest release. You are advised to apply for access to https...
- 09:01 AM Support #421: mining of genetic + other data: collaboration?
- advised to email biomarker team directly by email today.
- 09:00 AM Support #421 (Closed): mining of genetic + other data: collaboration?
- 10:06 PM Support #459 (Closed): derived variable for total number of children
I'd like to create variables for a total number of biological children for individuals in each wave. My unders...
- 09:21 PM Support #458: country of birth and derived variable UK born
- use ukborn in xwavedat
use c_hiqual_dv in c_indresp
c_jlnssec8_dv: is about last job. Information about the las...
- 05:35 PM Support #458: country of birth and derived variable UK born
- Hi please could you advise with the following variables. It is similar to the previous request on ethnicity.
- 05:16 PM Support #458 (Closed): country of birth and derived variable UK born
- 05:23 PM Support #446 (Closed): Childcare analysis
- 03:08 PM Support #446: Childcare analysis
- Thank you for your help on this
- 01:33 PM Support #457: ethnicity
- Please use the variable c_racel_dv. This question was asked of all adult respondents in wave 1 and after that only of...
- 01:26 PM Support #457: ethnicity
- I have a query re an output for ethnicity that a colleague has run.
The output below is for ethnicity. There appea...
- 01:25 PM Support #457 (Closed): ethnicity
- 04:55 PM Support #456 (Closed): comparing across waves
I wanted to know if it is possible to compare the effect of a variable in wave 1 with its effect in wave 5.
- 12:48 PM Support #455 (Closed): Residential mobility indicators
I have the latest version (W5 release) of SN6614 and SN7248 and have a question about residential mobility ...
- 11:04 AM Support #454 (Closed): BHPS hhch12 variable in INDRESP files
- There is a minor discrepancy between the labelling and text for variable hhch12 in each of the indresp files. An exam...
- 01:23 PM Support #453: Zero value weight with nurse data combined to blood sample and main sample (w2)
Thanks a lot for your response.
I read the User Guide and several questions on the forum (in particular ...
- 10:20 AM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
- Hi Alex,
the online data set documentation includes a brief description of the content of the data files which you a...
- 09:48 PM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
- Thank you, I have read the imputation of income and other variables section. However, it doesn't say which questionna...
- 11:20 AM Support #453: Zero value weight with nurse data combined to blood sample and main sample (w2)
We indeed expect some people to have 0 weights in nurse cross-sectional dataset. These are mostly TSMs in ...
- 08:15 AM Support #453 (Closed): Zero value weight with nurse data combined to blood sample and main sample (w2)
I am working on the nurse health assessment data combined to the blood sample data and the full main interview...
- 09:25 AM Support #452: identifying same-sex (female-female)partner
- Option 1: Use the w_egoalt file to identify same-sex partners in a household. Specifically, use variables: w_relation...
- 11:27 PM Support #452 (Closed): identifying same-sex (female-female)partner
- Dear Understanding society team
I'm interested in studying sleep in pregnancy, I'm keen to identify the predictors r...
- 05:28 PM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
- Any job related question will be inapplicable for those who do not have a job. Please refer to the specific questions...
- 05:23 PM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
I have had a look at income data within indresp on stata and the majority of respondents have said inappl...
- 03:22 PM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
- Adults (16+) are interviewed mostly F2F (with some exceptions). Those who complete F2F interviews are also asked to f...
- 03:13 PM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
- Ok, but are all the adult self-completion questionnaires done with interviewers face-to-face or over the telephone or...
- 02:07 PM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
- We follow, in short, individuals and their households over time; https://www.understandingsociety.ac.uk/about/longitu...
- 01:55 PM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
- Ahhh ok, thanks, so for indresp (i.e. the adult questionnaire) are the people interviewed in wave 1 different to the ...
- 09:22 AM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
The question was on the adult self-com...
- 10:38 AM Support #451: Immigrant and Ethnic Minority Boost sample Wave 6
- We do not yet have complete written documentation, but here is a brief description of the design:
Two new sample c...
- 09:23 AM Support #448 (Closed): weights
- 09:48 PM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
- Thank you. I have just had a look at the descriptions of the waves. However, I cannot find the sexuality variable in ...
- 06:04 PM Support #443: Orgm variables
c_orgm is asked only of those who chose c_org=1. Just replace c_orgm* = 0 if c_org=2.
In case of c_orga...
- 05:50 PM Support #446: Childcare analysis
Yes, if you combine ccare and ccwork and restrict the analysis to those who had a job last week (jbhas=1|jb...
- 03:58 PM Support #438 (Closed): Identifying a change in address
- 03:53 PM Support #447 (Closed): Wave 5
- 12:30 PM Support #451 (Closed): Immigrant and Ethnic Minority Boost sample Wave 6
Is there any written documentation on the sample design for the additional immigrant and ethnic minority b...
- 12:41 PM Support #448: weights
- And thank you, again, Olena.
- 10:18 AM Support #448: weights
Thank you for your citations. And yes, you should use psu alone as clusters. This is because you are using...
- 02:52 PM Support #450 (Closed): subpopulation analysis
- Hi, I need some advice on analyzing a subpopulation of the sample. Specifically I am only analyzing individuals that ...
- 02:33 PM Support #448: weights
- Thanks again, Olena,
With a fast encroaching penultimate deadline for a thesis, I guess it is too late for me to s...
- 11:22 AM Support #448: weights
We suggest where possible to use full information on design, including psu, strata and weights. It is poss...
- 12:57 AM Support #448: weights
- In paragraph 5 "(i.e, 1/c_indscub_x)" should read "(i.e., 1/c_indscub_xw). Apologies.
- 12:53 AM Support #448: weights
- Thank you so much, Olena, for that very detailed and considerate reply!
It is my first attempt at negotiating surv...
- 09:10 AM Support #449 (In Progress): Sexuality Variable
- The various files are described here: https://www.understandingsociety.ac.uk/documentation/mainstage/dataset-document...
- 07:24 PM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
- I have just redownloaded it and it works, thank you! When I download the STATA version of the dataset I get the diffe...
- 03:19 PM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
- When I downloaded the data from UKDS a minute ago it was there(?).
On behalf of the team, Jakob
- 03:00 PM Support #449 (Closed): Sexuality Variable
I have downloaded understanding society's dataset and have realised the variable c_sexuor which should be in d...
- 03:22 PM Support #442 (Closed): Weight for longitudinal analysis with BHPS Youth dataset
- 03:21 PM Support #444 (Closed): I need help
- 03:21 PM Support #445 (Closed): Pain and work
- 12:29 PM Support #448: weights
- Dear Vernon,
Thank you for your question. Your thinking of selecting the weight for your analysis are all correct....
- 12:17 AM Support #448 (Closed): weights
- I am looking at data exclusively at Wave C Understanding Society c_indresp.sav. I am planning to employ model based ...
- 12:35 PM Support #81: Does Health Visitor data still exist in Understanding Society
- FYI: There has been a review of the information Understanding Society collects about health, and the lack of informat...
- 01:04 PM Support #241 (Closed): c_fiyrinvinc_dv vs c_fiyrdia
- 01:04 PM Support #406 (Closed): Calcuation of net income variables
- 01:03 PM Support #415 (Closed): Question on household income
- 01:03 PM Support #417 (Closed): Choice of income bands in proxy question on annual earnings
- 01:03 PM Support #418 (Closed): Understanding Society dataset harmonised with GGP
- 01:02 PM Support #428 (Closed): Adult SC Questionnaire Wave 2
- 01:02 PM Support #430 (Closed): Sample size and weight within blood sample w2
- 01:01 PM Support #435 (Closed): Question relating to " main reason respondent was away from work last week?" in the UK HLS
- 01:01 PM Support #436 (Closed): How to identify the Household Reference Person
- 01:01 PM Support #437 (Closed): sample design and community establishments
- 01:00 PM Support #440 (Closed): Longitudinal Regression Analysis Weights
- 12:59 PM Support #445 (In Progress): Pain and work
- 12:41 PM Support #447: Wave 5
- We expect the Wave 5 launch the third week of Nov - so very soon.
On behalf of the team, Jakob
- 11:23 AM Support #447 (Closed): Wave 5
Please can you let me know the date of the Wave 5 data release?
- 12:39 PM Support #438: Identifying a change in address
- I have received the following advice:
You are correct – w_plnowy4 identifies those who moved since the last wave. ...
Also available in: Atom