From 10/31/2015 to 11/29/2015
- 04:55 PM Support #456 (Closed): comparing across waves
I wanted to know if it is possible to compare the effect of a variable in wave 1 with its effect in wave 5.
- 12:48 PM Support #455 (Closed): Residential mobility indicators
I have the latest version (W5 release) of SN6614 and SN7248 and have a question about residential mobility ...
- 11:04 AM Support #454 (Closed): BHPS hhch12 variable in INDRESP files
- There is a minor discrepancy between the labelling and text for variable hhch12 in each of the indresp files. An exam...
- 01:23 PM Support #453: Zero value weight with nurse data combined to blood sample and main sample (w2)
Thanks a lot for your response.
I read the User Guide and several questions on the forum (in particular ...
- 10:20 AM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
- Hi Alex,
the online data set documentation includes a brief description of the content of the data files which you a...
- 09:48 PM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
- Thank you, I have read the imputation of income and other variables section. However, it doesn't say which questionna...
- 11:20 AM Support #453: Zero value weight with nurse data combined to blood sample and main sample (w2)
We indeed expect some people to have 0 weights in nurse cross-sectional dataset. These are mostly TSMs in ...
- 08:15 AM Support #453 (Closed): Zero value weight with nurse data combined to blood sample and main sample (w2)
I am working on the nurse health assessment data combined to the blood sample data and the full main interview...
- 09:25 AM Support #452: identifying same-sex (female-female)partner
- Option 1: Use the w_egoalt file to identify same-sex partners in a household. Specifically, use variables: w_relation...
- 11:27 PM Support #452 (Closed): identifying same-sex (female-female)partner
- Dear Understanding society team
I'm interested in studying sleep in pregnancy, I'm keen to identify the predictors r...
- 05:28 PM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
- Any job related question will be inapplicable for those who do not have a job. Please refer to the specific questions...
- 05:23 PM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
I have had a look at income data within indresp on stata and the majority of respondents have said inappl...
- 03:22 PM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
- Adults (16+) are interviewed mostly F2F (with some exceptions). Those who complete F2F interviews are also asked to f...
- 03:13 PM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
- Ok, but are all the adult self-completion questionnaires done with interviewers face-to-face or over the telephone or...
- 02:07 PM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
- We follow, in short, individuals and their households over time; https://www.understandingsociety.ac.uk/about/longitu...
- 01:55 PM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
- Ahhh ok, thanks, so for indresp (i.e. the adult questionnaire) are the people interviewed in wave 1 different to the ...
- 09:22 AM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
The question was on the adult self-com...
- 10:38 AM Support #451: Immigrant and Ethnic Minority Boost sample Wave 6
- We do not yet have complete written documentation, but here is a brief description of the design:
Two new sample c...
- 09:23 AM Support #448 (Closed): weights
- 09:48 PM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
- Thank you. I have just had a look at the descriptions of the waves. However, I cannot find the sexuality variable in ...
- 06:04 PM Support #443: Orgm variables
c_orgm is asked only of those who chose c_org=1. Just replace c_orgm* = 0 if c_org=2.
In case of c_orga...
- 05:50 PM Support #446: Childcare analysis
Yes, if you combine ccare and ccwork and restrict the analysis to those who had a job last week (jbhas=1|jb...
- 03:58 PM Support #438 (Closed): Identifying a change in address
- 03:53 PM Support #447 (Closed): Wave 5
- 12:30 PM Support #451 (Closed): Immigrant and Ethnic Minority Boost sample Wave 6
Is there any written documentation on the sample design for the additional immigrant and ethnic minority b...
- 12:41 PM Support #448: weights
- And thank you, again, Olena.
- 10:18 AM Support #448: weights
Thank you for your citations. And yes, you should use psu alone as clusters. This is because you are using...
- 02:52 PM Support #450 (Closed): subpopulation analysis
- Hi, I need some advice on analyzing a subpopulation of the sample. Specifically I am only analyzing individuals that ...
- 02:33 PM Support #448: weights
- Thanks again, Olena,
With a fast encroaching penultimate deadline for a thesis, I guess it is too late for me to s...
- 11:22 AM Support #448: weights
We suggest where possible to use full information on design, including psu, strata and weights. It is poss...
- 12:57 AM Support #448: weights
- In paragraph 5 "(i.e, 1/c_indscub_x)" should read "(i.e., 1/c_indscub_xw). Apologies.
- 12:53 AM Support #448: weights
- Thank you so much, Olena, for that very detailed and considerate reply!
It is my first attempt at negotiating surv...
- 09:10 AM Support #449 (In Progress): Sexuality Variable
- The various files are described here: https://www.understandingsociety.ac.uk/documentation/mainstage/dataset-document...
- 07:24 PM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
- I have just redownloaded it and it works, thank you! When I download the STATA version of the dataset I get the diffe...
- 03:19 PM Support #449: Sexuality Variable
- When I downloaded the data from UKDS a minute ago it was there(?).
On behalf of the team, Jakob
- 03:00 PM Support #449 (Closed): Sexuality Variable
I have downloaded understanding society's dataset and have realised the variable c_sexuor which should be in d...
- 03:22 PM Support #442 (Closed): Weight for longitudinal analysis with BHPS Youth dataset
- 03:21 PM Support #444 (Closed): I need help
- 03:21 PM Support #445 (Closed): Pain and work
- 12:29 PM Support #448: weights
- Dear Vernon,
Thank you for your question. Your thinking of selecting the weight for your analysis are all correct....
- 12:17 AM Support #448 (Closed): weights
- I am looking at data exclusively at Wave C Understanding Society c_indresp.sav. I am planning to employ model based ...
- 12:35 PM Support #81: Does Health Visitor data still exist in Understanding Society
- FYI: There has been a review of the information Understanding Society collects about health, and the lack of informat...
- 01:04 PM Support #241 (Closed): c_fiyrinvinc_dv vs c_fiyrdia
- 01:04 PM Support #406 (Closed): Calcuation of net income variables
- 01:03 PM Support #415 (Closed): Question on household income
- 01:03 PM Support #417 (Closed): Choice of income bands in proxy question on annual earnings
- 01:03 PM Support #418 (Closed): Understanding Society dataset harmonised with GGP
- 01:02 PM Support #428 (Closed): Adult SC Questionnaire Wave 2
- 01:02 PM Support #430 (Closed): Sample size and weight within blood sample w2
- 01:01 PM Support #435 (Closed): Question relating to " main reason respondent was away from work last week?" in the UK HLS
- 01:01 PM Support #436 (Closed): How to identify the Household Reference Person
- 01:01 PM Support #437 (Closed): sample design and community establishments
- 01:00 PM Support #440 (Closed): Longitudinal Regression Analysis Weights
- 12:59 PM Support #445 (In Progress): Pain and work
- 12:41 PM Support #447: Wave 5
- We expect the Wave 5 launch the third week of Nov - so very soon.
On behalf of the team, Jakob
- 11:23 AM Support #447 (Closed): Wave 5
Please can you let me know the date of the Wave 5 data release?
- 12:39 PM Support #438: Identifying a change in address
- I have received the following advice:
You are correct – w_plnowy4 identifies those who moved since the last wave. ...
- 12:28 PM Support #446 (Closed): Childcare analysis
I would like to use the Understanding Society wave 4 data to assess whether childcare arrangements made to ...
- 07:57 AM Support #435: Question relating to " main reason respondent was away from work last week?" in the UK HLS
- Hi Alita,
thanks for your answer.
It's a pity the duration cannot be inferred. I hope this issue could be conside...
- 05:01 PM Support #435: Question relating to " main reason respondent was away from work last week?" in the UK HLS
- Hi Zoe,
No, these questions only refer to whether they were off from work during the week before the interview and...
- 09:14 PM Support #440: Longitudinal Regression Analysis Weights
- That's great thank you!
- 05:19 PM Support #445: Pain and work
- Look at the Data Documentation: https://www.understandingsociety.ac.uk/documentation/mainstage/dataset-documentation
- 02:52 PM Support #445 (Closed): Pain and work
- We are currently looking into a project on pain and work. I saw the following question in the most recent Understandi...
- 07:27 PM Support #444: I need help
- XWAVEID, XWLSTEN and XWAVEDAT: these are individual level files for all individuals ever sampled. The online document...
- 05:17 PM Support #444 (Feedback): I need help
- Hi Abdulganiyu Ajani,
you say you are merging files ... and then that you are appending variables ... this makes it ...
- 04:21 PM Support #444 (Closed): I need help
I am currently using BHPS to do a research, but facing problems merging the waves. I was able to successfully appen...
- 02:32 PM Support #435: Question relating to " main reason respondent was away from work last week?" in the UK HLS
- Hi Alita. Thanks for your answer. Much appreciated.
I did use the variables you mentioned to help me calculate the ...
- 01:27 PM Support #443 (Closed): Orgm variables
- Hi there,
I want to compare orga and orgm of wave 3 but I can't do this as they are not both representative of the...
- 09:57 AM Support #442: Weight for longitudinal analysis with BHPS Youth dataset
Thanks for your question. There is no one way of conducting longitudinal analysis of youth data. The ma...
- 05:49 PM Support #442 (Closed): Weight for longitudinal analysis with BHPS Youth dataset
What weights should I use when conducting longitudinal analysis with BHPS YOUTH data? Only cross-sectional ...
- 10:50 AM Support #440: Longitudinal Regression Analysis Weights
- Here are the answers to your questions in the order asked. Yes, d_indscus_lw is correct, and a_indscus_xw is correct ...
- 06:55 PM Support #440 (Closed): Longitudinal Regression Analysis Weights
- Hello. I am working on the understanding society database looking specifically at the self-completion questionnaire d...
Also available in: Atom