Variables- child abuse, child witnessing of abuse
I am a data analyst working for the Scottish Government’s ‘Children and Families Analysis’ group. I’m currently working on a project that maps young people’s experiences of violence and/or their witnessing of it. I’m enquiring to see if ‘Understanding Society’ collects any data relating to this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Updated by Understanding Society User Support Team about 2 months ago
- Category set to Questionnaire content
- Status changed from New to Feedback
- % Done changed from 0 to 80
- Private changed from Yes to No
This perhaps depends on how you define violence, but I think you can find some potentially useful variables in the following modules:
- Adult questionnaire:
Parents and children module, e.g. Quarrel, Slapkid, Yellkid
Self-Completion Partner Module, e.g. Screlparar
- Youth questionnaire, e.g. YPFRPBULLI, YPFROBULLI, YPFRPBULLY, YPFROBULLY
You can look for other variables in the following ways:
(1) search through the questionnaire here https://www.understandingsociety.ac.uk/documentation/mainstage/questionnaires [Youth questionnaires are for 10-15 year olds, Adult questionnaires are for 16+ year olds and if they are parents of children in the household they are asked some questions about their children]
(2) use our online variable search tool here: https://www.understandingsociety.ac.uk/documentation/mainstage/dataset-documentation
Finally, you can also search for publications based on analysis using our data here: https://www.understandingsociety.ac.uk/research/publications... you can use key words to search for relevant publications.
I hope this helps.
UKHLS User Support Team