Several inconsistencies for birthy and also mastat
Dear UKHLS Support,
I am currently noticing that there are several differences between the variable birthy in the indall file and
xwavedat. Could you please tell me which variable is the most reliable?
I also noticed a few inconsistencies for the de facto marital status (mastat) between the files indresp ans indall between the
waves ten and thirteen of the BHPS. Which is the variable I should rely on?
Thank you and best regards,
Updated by Understanding Society User Support Team about 2 months ago
- Category set to Questionnaire content
- Status changed from New to Feedback
- % Done changed from 0 to 80
- Private changed from Yes to No
1) I'd recommend using doby_dv from xwavedat. It is a derived variable and our Data Team has tried to make it as complete and consistent as possible combining information from all available sources.
2) the information in indall comes from the household grid which is completed by one household member providing the list of people in that household and their basic characteristic, including marital status, the information in indresp is provided by respondents themselves, so the latter could be considered more reliable (though we leave the decision about which to use to researchers).
I hope this helps.
Understanding Society User Support Team